Friday 2 April 2010

What A Difference A Day Makes

This morning I completed Week 5 - Day 3 - a run for 20 minutes without stopping. This is my first, big milestone and I'm delighted. It was scheduled in for Wednesday evening, but in some twist of fate and clearly an act of divine intervention, the weather put paid to my plans. Throughout the day at work the snow fell outside, cars careered off roads and my running shoes stayed firmly in my bag. I had psyched myself up for it however, and kept peeking out the window to see if it was clearing up at all: it didn't.

So from this...
Photobucket

To this...Photobucket

Today being Good Friday, I've taken the day off work to head home for Easter. I'm glad I did this because the sun is literally streaming in the window but the air is crisp outside. Perfect weather for running.

I was running through the streets today which isn't my favourite environment but it's worth practicing because the 10K weaves a pattern through streets. I much prefer jogging in the in park or along the beach esplanade where there's something pretty to look at and I don't have to stop to cross roads or avoid women with buggies.

I ran from the flat down to Queen's Cross roundabout, back along Albyn Place, around Rubislaw Gardens a few times, back to Skene Street and then back to the flat. According to Map My Run that's just over 2 miles. So I need to be able to do 3 times that by the time the race comes around. For the first time that doesn't completely terrify me because now I know I can do 20 solid minutes running and I've still got more than a month to build on that. I need to be able to run for an hour without stopping, and I think I can get there.

My calf muscles are really throbbing now even after stretching them out well but it's a good kind of pain, if that makes any sense. A pain of achievement!

Speaking of pain... poor McNulty got the snip this week and has to wear a Cone Of Shame. No running for him.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment