Thursday 25 March 2010

Gorillas In The Mist

You know that scene from The Exorcist when the priest turns up to do the exorcism and stands outside the house? Big plumes of fog and mist billow past him as he looks up towards the bedroom window and the whole scene is horribly eerie and atmospheric? Well tonight I went running in that!

Photobucket

Living by the North Sea means that every now and then we get a combination of temperature, wind levels and moisture in the air, to form a phenomenon known as haar. I grew up in Glasgow where "haar" is just the noise you make when clearing your throat, and it was only five years ago when I first moved here that I experienced this bizarre weather for the first time. It's basically sea mist. But it's a mist so powerful that when it comes rolling off the sea, it envelops the whole city under a foggy blanket all the way from the seafront, far above the city to the housing estates beyond. Walking through it drenches your clothing and even the straightest hair springs into wild curls within a few minutes.

Photobucket

When you've got asthma, running in it is a one-way ticket to an asthma attack and I again found myself relying on my inhaler for a few moments midway through. The pain in my calf muscles continues to throb. As a rule, if I leave a day between runs then I really enjoy going out and I just feel merely fatigued afterwards. However if I run two days in a row then halfway through the session my leg muscles start to really hurt. They hurt so much that I almost don't want to stop for my walking intervals because as soon as I do, that's when the pain really kicks in.

So far I have stuck to my training plan 100% and am advancing well. I ran to band practice and back again last night, and it didn't destroy me half as badly as it did last week. And although I have not lost one single ounce according to the scales, my clothes are getting a little looser and a colleague said today that my face wasn't as round as usual which is definitely a good thing.

I'm going to give myself tomorrow off and I might go to the gym on Saturday for an easy peasy go on the treadmill (people keep telling me it'll seem a lot easier than running outside). Then I've got a big milestone coming up - my first 20 minute run without stopping. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment